Friday, May 20, 2011

Muchos Amigos.day2


Funny story: I promise you, the guy driving the train laid on the horn every time he passed by last night & wouldn't let up on it until he got far past our house! Ha ha, let's just say there wasn't much sleep to be had. :) That's okay, it's hilarious. Our day started out with meeting a group of UCR students that are required to participate in 300 hours of community service, so we will be joining them this upcoming week. We played ice-breakers to help us get to know each other more. We made a ton of new friends through these games & we had so much fun. I learned that my catch-phrase while I'm here is "Puedo sacar su photo?" which is "Can I take your photo?" The amphitheater we were in playing these games was overflowing with laughter (it seriously felt like we had known each other much longer) & even though the language barrier can be difficult it's awesome to see God working through that. Tomeka (the girl in the white & purple shirt at the end) is bomb at Spanish & I'm enjoying learning from her as well as learning from los Ticos (I guess that's what they call Costa Ricans, ha ha). I thoroughly believe being submersed in a culture makes one learn a language much faster; in my case/experience, it does! 



After eating lunch we came back to the house to rest & prepare for our night tonight. Some of us team members went with Josh's wife, April, to this Bubble Tea place. It's tea with tapioca balls in the bottom & you can choose between various flavors & it also comes in smoothie form! It was really good & we ended up meeting these American students & they told us what there was to do around San Jose. It was great to meet them & invite them to our upcoming events like our Mexican night tomorrow night & our movie night next week. 


After walking back to our casa we sat in the JcCafe. Missionaries Scott & his wife, Trisha have a ministry right inside their garage. They turned their garage into an awesome coffee shop; they invite students in & provide free coffee & snacks to build relationships. They use this as an opportunity to share Christ with them & they sometimes will give them extra snacks if they memorize scripture &/or answer a Bible question. While hanging out there for a little while, I met a legit guy, Wilbur. He speaks 7 different languages, such as Italian, Spanish, French, & English. He was incredibly friendly & intelligent. In the midst of it all, there was another downpour! I'm not kidding when I say Costa Rica rain storms are the best! The thunder & lightning was right over us; I could see & feel God's power as I sat in a hammock in the opening of the garage. He is so beautiful & I love that not only do I see Him in Colorado, but I see/feel Him here in Costa Rica too. Today has been amazing making muchos amigos; the people here are absolutely beautiful! From the color of their skin to their sweet hearts I see pure beauty & the love of Jesus. 

Right now Tomeka & I are just lying here in our bed (she's helping me type this out because I keep spelling things wrongs -she just corrected me on that- ha ha). Can't wait to see what God has in store for us tonight! :)

Love, 
Tomeka & Abigail :)





p.s. the photo at the very top is of some of our new friends from this morning. the next photo (from left to right) is of Spencer & I in front of our casa & the photo of just me was during our walk back from Bubble Tea. Next photo is of the JcCafe & Wilbur is the guy in the purple shirt :). Last photo is of Lauren, Nate, & I having fun in the rain!

No comments:

Post a Comment