Monday, May 23, 2011

Dios es Rey.

It is raining, yet again, but us Coloradoans LOVE it! It is so warm & sounds so beautiful while sitting out in the hammocks or taking a nap with the windows opened.

So I haven't posted anything recently just because we have been so incredibly busy & sadly today, I can't tell you ALL about the past couple days because 1) I'm on my friend Lauren's (thank you Lauren!!) computer & 2) we're about to go visit a Bible school in a different town here in Cost Rica. I just wanted to quickly share with you what God is doing here. . .

We had the opportunity to go to the basilica in the town Cartago, which is near San Jose. It was a beautiful basilica, but what made it interesting was they had a spring of water they called holy water & it is used to heal people. They also have a statue of a woman (I can't spell her name) they believe runs around & heals people. They'll make silver charms of the body part they desire to be healed & bring it to her & pray. . .if the prayer is answered they bring the charm back to the church as a testimony of healing. We also had the opportunity to go to the ruins in Cartago; it was absolutely stunning. We had a Mexican night (which was put on by our awesome Mexican missionaries that we are also working alongside) & it was soooooo much fun! A Mariachi band showed up, we ate delicioso Mexican food, & it was amazing fellowship.




performing one of our skits
Yesterday we went to church & I have never had so much fun at church. The prayers, the worship, the people were beautiful & I can not put into words the joy that the Lord poured into my heart. Even though the worship was in Spanish, my entire team was singing & lifting their hands in praise to God! A few words of my favorite song we sang yesterday was, "Dios es Rey," (God is King). Powerful morning! God is moving in this country & today was evidence of that. Today we spent our entire morning on campus meeting new people, inviting them to upcoming events, performing skits (seriously, we were surrounded with beautiful Costa Ricans smiling & laughing), & giving our non-Jesus testimonies (we are not allowed to speak of God, Jesus, or of church on campus). We have spent most of our time building relationships with these awesome kids; that is what we came to do. . .not to vacation, not to do whatever we want, but to get to know them as people & create friendships & serve them. I can tell you right now I already have incredible friends here in Costa Rica. They're legit, ha ha! (quick funny story: I have taught a few of my new friends what "legit" means & what "hang out" means!) I am in love with these people & their culture. :)
playing games on campus!

Please continue to pray for the team! I also had a life-changing decision come up in my life last night so I need prayer for wisdom, understanding, & an open heart! :) Thanks everybody. . .can't wait to tell you all about the trip in person & show you photos!

Love,
Abigail


little old man in the street market :)
p.s. I'll leave you with a little humor: Saturday morning we went to a street market to buy fruit & I ended up being asked if I was married by a guy named Jose (his mom told him I needed to finish studying first), another guy gave me a free avocado, & right after that this old man (he's from Pennsylvania & he's lived here in Costa Rica for 62 years) came up to me & told me I was cute & that I needed to "Take that damn thing out," (my nose ring) hahahaha! So now the team teases me about having 3 boyfriends. Remember. . .



Dios es Rey!

1 comment: